Sunday 21 February 2010

Time to blog at last!

I realised today that I haven't been able to read the blog since Wednesday...so I've now caught up! Jaipur and this hotel are a lovely oasis after the busyness of the last week. Working in Tigri slum was for me very special. I think it was my best slum experience yet. This isn't just because I have been able to be more personally involved this time - not ill or spending days off from the team teaching etc.. It was also that this community in Tigri have looked after us and opened themselves to us in a very special way. I feel I have been able to get to know more of them as individuals than before - and that is such a privilege! I think that meeting the students, giving them a tutorial on life prospects and encouraging them in their dreams, and then spending time with the kids in workshops etc has added an extra dimension. Watching the children write letters back to children of Birchfield school has also been special! It was great to visit homes and hear stories, then have opportunity to pray for people in their situations has also been an amazing experience.

Next week, when we get back to Delhi, Kiran has asked me to sit in with antenatal and children-under-five clinics and report back what I have observed. I will also be doing a teaching session with the doctors AND nurses on Diabetes. We will be talking with Kiran about how we can help with strategy for supporting Asha in the UK. Also Freddy wants to take us to see the new settlement in the north of Delhi where the people of Thokar No. 8 slum were settled after they were turned out of their homes in 2006.

So it will be an interesting week - but first we will continue to enjoy a rest in Jaipur...!

No comments:

Post a Comment