Thursday 25 February 2010

My week back with Asha

Jaipur was great! Time to relax in that oasis of a hotel... but it is also good to be back with Asha doing specific tasks that are my "shape". So, on Tuesday, I linked up with Soni again and went in an auto rickshaw down to Kalkaji slum, far south of the city, I noted the difference having an Indian with you makes to the fare: 1/2 an hour or so ride for 57 rupees (about 80p)! I sat in on the antenatal clinic being run by a nurse to do a "quality control assessment" for Kiran. I made a few observations and found Lily, the nurse, and Soni were keen to learn and asked me what I thought. I noted that Lily immediately changed her practice to reflect what I had suggested!

In the afternoon we met with Kiran and both Nigel and I fed back to her what we had found, We then discussed the possibility of setting up a southwest UK Asha supporters day conference based in Yeovil - so watch out for that...

Yesterday I sat by a computer to prepare a seminar on Diabetes which I will do this morning with all the doctors and nurses. As I prepared my Powerpoint I was only slightly perturbed when a mouse scurried across the desk behind the screen and started playing around in the bin at my feet! I mentioned it to Paul who was sharing the office, and he just said: "Ah yes, Alex" (who has just left Asha after 3 years...anyone want a job?) "used to like the mice!"

Anyway, yesterday I had the joy of going back to TIGRI!!!!! I sat in on the ANC there too. I met most of the women, and Pinky, the 14 year old lass who danced beautifully for us at the opening ceremony was also there. I was well looked after - 2 cups of chai with biscuits! Onker saw to that.

And now for breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment